In less than three weeks, 4/20 — the unofficial holiday to celebrate cannabis — will hit California for the first time since recreational marijuana sales have been legal. Do you know where you’ll be?
If not, we’ve got some ideas…
There are music festivals, movie screenings, comedy shows, bus tours and more taking places throughout the state on April 20. And since the holiday falls on a Friday this year, many event promoters are using 4/20 as a kickoff to weekend-long celebrations of all things weed.
Most dispensaries will be having big sales on April 20. Some will also be offering live music, workshops and food trucks to mark the occasion.
Many events are only open to people 21 and older, so check with organizers and don’t forget your ID.
Keep in mind that, while possession of up to an ounce of marijuana and licensed sales are allowed, public consumption isn’t legal anywhere in California and can still land you a ticket of $100 to $250. Also, you can still be arrested for driving while impaired, so take advantage of ride-share services that often offer 4/20 discounts or designate a sober driver.
Curious how 4/20 came about? Here’s a good primer: The origins of 4/20, explained
Did we miss a good event? Email email@example.com, since we’ll be updating this list leading up to April 20.
And if you can’t make it to one of these special events, here’s your reminder that “Super Troopers 2” will open in theaters across the country on April 20.
Legacy of 4/20 Hippie Hill lives on
The 4/20 gathering at Hippie Hill is a San Francisco tradition said to date back to the 1970s. Each year, tens of thousands of people travel for miles to celebrate the use of cannabis. This is the second year that the event will be officially organized in partnership with various city departments. Attendees must be 18 and older. Early registrants will get a free commemorative t-shirt.
• When: All day April 20
• Where: Sharon Meadows area at Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
• How much: Free
• More information and tickets: 420HippieHill.com
‘Dead on the Hilltop’ festival comes to Apple Valley
A dozen bands will perform, including a Grateful Dead tribute band, during this 420-friendly weekend festival in Southern California’s high desert town of Apple Valley. There will be live jam sessions throughout the weekend, with camping, vendors and more. And it all takes place at the 60-acre Hilltop Tavern and Inn, which is celebrating 20 years of shows.
• When: April 20-22
• Where: Hilltop Tavern and Inn at 9544 Kiowa Road, Apple Valley
• How much: $35 for one night or $49 for the weekend of camping and shows; 12 and under free
• More information and tickets: facebook.com
Comedy and music in the heart of cannabis country
Cannabis-loving comedians and bands will perform during “420 in Weed Country,” coming to Mendocino County. The first 100 people in get free “munchies” and everyone gets a free CD from the Mendo Dope Band. Other performers include Ngaio Bealum, Winstrong and DJ Smokin Joe.
• When: 4:20 p.m. April 20 to 1 a.m. April 21
• Where: McCarty’s Bar & Grill at 6951 East Road, Redwood Valley
• How much: $20
• More information and tickets: 420inweedcountry.com
Bay Area’s Magic CannaBus launches with 4/20 celebration
San Francisco-based Magic Bus tours is hosting a special premiere trip of its Magic CannaBus to celebrate 4/20 and the legalization of marijuana. The bus has video projectors and a full audio system, which turns the bus into a moving movie theater. Expect a clip or two from “Reefer Madness,” psychedelic light shows, munchies, information on the history and mystery of marijuana and more. The Magic CannaBus will start a regular evening show at the end of April and running through May.
• When: 2:30 p.m. April 20
• Where: San Francisco
• How much: $120
• More information and tickets: magicbussf.com or 855-969-6244
Cannabis film festival coming to Palm Springs
The Palm Springs Cultural Center is putting together a film festival, conveniently timed around the 420 marijuana holiday. The Palm Springs Film Festival & Summit will include film screenings, panel discussions, educational programs and social events such as yoga classes. And they’re accepting submissions for documentaries, feature films and shorts now.
• When: 8 a.m. April 17 to 8 p.m. April 22
• Where: Camelot Theatres at 2300 E Baristo Road, Palm Springs
• How much: From $15 for a one-day pass to $249 for full weekend access
• More information and tickets: pscff.jackalyst.com
Magic Bus Experience comes to Downtown L.A.
The Magic Bus Experience is headed to Downtown Los Angeles. The three-day event features 60,000 square feet of attractions, including an adult-sized pillow fort, a floor to ceiling Munchie Mountain, a multi-sensory cinematic experience at the Bean Bag Cinema and a Hotbox White Out Maze. There is also a VIP Cloud Room with all-you-can-eat tater tots and chicken nuggets.
• When: From 11:30 a.m.-4:20 p.m. and 6-11 p.m. on April 20-22
• Where: The Reef DTLA at 1933 S. Broadway, Los Angeles
• How much: $45 general admission, $65 for VIP
• More information and tickets: MagicBusExperience.com
Cannabis Cup is coming back to SoCal
High Times magazine is bringing its infamous Cannabis Cup festival back to Southern California this April. Music acts include NAS, Lil Wayne, TI, Rick Ross and 2 Chainz. Tickets for the three-day event that typically attracts tens of thousands of people to San Bernardino each year are still on sale.
• When: April 20-April 22
• Where: National Orange Events Center at 689 South E Street, San Bernardino
• How much: From $60 to $420 for full VIP access
• More information and tickets: CannabisCup.com
Berner, 2 Chainz and more coming to San Francisco
Berner, 2 Chainz, Chief Keef, Trippie Redd and Styles P will play on 4/20 in San Francisco, near the famed Hippie Hill celebration. It’s an all-ages show. All tickets are general admission, with standing room up front and seats first-come, first-serve in the historic Bill Graham Civic Auditorium.
• When: 5:30 p.m. April 20
• Where: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium at 99 Grove Street, San Francisco
• How much: Tickets start at $59.50
• More information and tickets: Ticketmaster.com
Cannabliss Retreat takes over private Malibu estate
Because one day of celebrating cannabis isn’t always enough, the folks behind Cannabliss Retreat have created a six-day vacation that will take place at a private Malibu estate in the days surrounding the 4/20 holiday. Wellness is a major focus, with yoga sessions, hiking, sound bathing and healthy, cannabis-infused meals throughout. The event is also about education, with everyone attending set to earn certification in the Kannabis Accreditation Regulation and Education program. The retreat is also focused on fun, with a pool and spa, games, barbecue cookouts, music, a vape bar and a special 4/20 event planned. Guests can stay in luxury accommodations or camp on site, or they can drive in each day. Plus, a portion of proceeds support therapy and access for veterans.
• When: April 19-April 24, with a special noon-midnight celebration on April 20
• Where: Private estate in Malibu
• How much: $150 for just the 4/20 party and $800 to $2,500 for six-day retreat
• More information and tickets: CannablissRetreats.com
Wyclef Jean performs at San Diego’s ‘Bayked by the Bay’
Bayked by the Bay will feature a live performance by Wyclef Jean and band alongside other performers and DJs, munchies from a dozen San Diego restaurants, vendors, local artists and educational sessions from some of California’s leading cannabis brands. The event will also raise money for the Chihuahua Rescue of San Diego. No cannabis sales or consumption are allowed at the venue. Only guests 21 and older can attend, with companies displaying and demonstrating cannabis products.
• When: 3-10 p.m. April 20
• Where: Embarcadero Marina Park at 500 Kettner Boulevard, San Diego
• How much: $30-$75
• More information and tickets: Eventbrite.com
Catch a screening of Cheech and Chong’s ‘Up in Smoke’ in Hanford
It’s the 40th anniversary of Cheech and Chong’s stoner classic “Up in Smoke.” And what better way to celebrate than with watching a screening of the movie in a historic theater on 4/20?
• When: 7 p.m. April 20
• Where: Fox Hanford at 326 N Irwin St., Hanford
• How much: $5-$7
• More information and tickets: FoxHanford.com
Marijuana-themed burlesque show comes to Long Beach
“Up in Smoke Burlesque” is headed to Long Beach, with a marijuana-themed burlesque show in honor of 4/20. The show is 21 and older and has a mandatory two-drink minimum.
• When: 8:30-11:30 p.m. April 20
• Where: Harvelle’s Long Beach at 201 East Broadway, Long Beach
• How much: $10 for general admission, up to $100 for a booth for four
• More information and tickets: Eventbrite.com
Watch ‘Pineapple Express’ at The Wiltern in LA
To celebrate 4/20 and the 10th anniversary of the stoner comedy “Pineapple Express,” the historic Wiltern theater in Los Angeles is hosting a screening of the film. The first 420 people who buy tickets to the “420 Fest” will get a free vape pen. There will be a full bar, photo booth and vendors selling products before the movie. Open to anyone 18 and older.
• When: 7 p.m. April 20
• Where: The Wiltern at 3790 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles
• How much: $4.20 to $15
• More information and tickets: Facebook.com
To subscribe to The Cannifornian’s email newsletter, click here.