Here’s your weekly roundup of marijuana-related events coming soon across the Golden State, from seminars to plays.
“Weed Shop: The Musical”
Guys, there’s a song called “You Can Store Your Weed in my Heart.” If you still need to hear more…
“Weed Shop” follows Dave, a dispensary owner, and Alicia, a doctor who decides to set up her new marijuana-friendly practice near Dave’s weed shop in Los Angeles. The two meet through an online dating service and have an instant connection, but are both nervous about disclosing their true careers in the fear of facing rejection.
The story was originally created by Becca Grumet in 2012 as a 6-minute short film for the School of Cinematic Arts at the University of Southern California. That film earned the distinction of becoming an Official Selection at the LA Comedy Film Festival. Now, “Weed Shop”has grown into a full-length stage musical that premiered in early December and is coming back for an extended run.
• When: 8-10 p.m. Jan. 13, Jan. 14, Jan. 20, Jan. 21, Jan. 27 and Jan. 28; matinee 2-4 p.m. Jan. 15, Jan. 22 and Jan. 29
• Where: Eclectic Company Theatre at 5312 Laurel Canyon Blvd, Hollywood
• How much: $20
• More information and tickets: WeedShopTheMusical.com
NFL player hosts panel on breaking into industry
During the monthly networking event for the cannabis advocacy groups Women Abuv Ground and Men Abuv Ground, former NFL Super Bowl winner Marvin Washington will join a panel discussing “The California Green Rush: How to Get Involved in the Billion Dollar Cannabis Business.” Other panelists include organization founder Bonita “Bo” Money and attorney Ariel Clark of the Cannabis Task Force, with moderation by LA Weekly journalist Dennis Romero.
• When: 6 p.m. Jan. 14
• Where: Café Club Fais Do-Do at 5257 W. Adams Blvd., Los Angeles
• How much: $25 in advance, $30 at the door
• More information and tickets: EventBrite.com
Free webinar series on impacts of Prop. 64
The law firm Meyers Nave is offering a free webinar series covering critical issues emerging under Proposition 64, including licensing, taxation, land use, environmental, employment, commercial business and more. Register below to attend the Jan. 18 webinar on, then mark your calendars to attend the next session in the series on Feb. 1. Representatives from local municipalities, businesses and individuals are welcome to virtually attend.
• When: Noon to 1 p.m. Jan. 18 and Feb. 1
• Where: This presentation is a webinar. Attendees will receive an email with log-on instructions 24 hours prior to the webinar.
• How much: Free
• More information and tickets: MeyersNave.com or 800-464-3559
High Times Business Summit returns to L.A.
High Times magazine will host its second annual business summit in Los Angeles. The two-day event will focus on changes to the industry brought about by recent legalization votes in California and beyond. There will be symposiums for both seasoned and aspiring entrepreneurs in the cannabis industry, with guest speakers covering topics such as sustainable cultivation practices, implications of Proposition 64, responsible marketing practices, deciphering cannabis genetics, tips for breaking into the industry and more.
• When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Jan. 19-20
• Where: Los Angeles Convention Center at 1201 S Figueroa St., Los Angeles
• How much: $150
• More information and tickets: HighTimesBusiness.com
Pop-up infused dinner in Los Angeles
At PopCultivate, guests get a cannabis-infused social dining experience in an unconventional space. Share a four-course medicated meal with the community to bond over food and the arts. Expect to sit at one long communal table and meet neighbors for the night.
This is a BYOB event. Guests have to present a valid ID and medical marijuana recommendation upon check-in at the event.
Have a cannabis-themed event coming to California down the road? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.